1.23.2011

I now know why.

Many of you loyal readers might remember  this post. There are things that stand out to me from that post:

  • At this moment I am filled with emotion. I’ve never been comfortable just fostering. But something just felt right. It felt that this little man needed our home for a period of time.
  • So without really thinking anymore about it, we both said yes.
  • He will be living with us for about 5-6 months. Could be shorter, could be longer.
  • Fostering. I thought I’d have a really hard time at just the thought of having to give him up at some point. But it most definitely is something different, once you have your own kids and then know that you are pretty much his caretaker. A place where he can feel safe, loved and cared for, until, well until his family situation gets straightened out. Until then, we’ll be the ones enjoying him.

Here are some comments that some of you made:

  • I'm sure there's a reason he's with you...a blessing for both of you!
  • Amazing.
  • I do know that God has a plan for each of us and you guys are meant to be a part of his plan no matter how long or short it maybe.

Here we are 8 months later and it has been a roller coaster ride. He had a really hard time adjusting and  we too  had a really hard time adjusting. There were many times we called our social worker and said, “we’re done, we can’t do it any longer”, one time he was even scheduled to leave us the next day, but something, something just kept saying to us that that wasn’t what needed to happen. He needed to be with us longer. He needed to be part of our family. He needed us. Why? We were never quite sure, but we went with it.

Our previous estimation of 5-6 months had turned into 8 months and we were looking at about 2 more months.

Well we found out his adoption plan might change, just  might. That’s when all the gears in my  head starting working. That’s when I found out why 8 months ago, Ryan and I had “THAT FEELING”. That’s why he needed to be in  our home.

For anyone that knows me, knows that I’m a go getter. If I have a thought/idea I go with it at full speed. Sometimes that can be a bad thing, other times it can be a great thing. This time it was a great thing.

You see, you might know these folks: Our brother and sister in law

Well, over Christmas break we were in Raleigh visiting granny and pa and I couldn’t help myself, I told Aimee “We need to talk”.

Anyways, I told them there “MIGHT” be a change in his adoption plan and if they would be interested. We got an immediate YES.

The next day, our social worker called and said “Zavy’s adoption plan is DEFINITELY changing.

3 WEEKS LATER….

Our happy boy. . .

IMG_6742 

has joined his FOREVER FAMILY.

Introducing. . .

Zavy Taylor Henderson, son to our brother and sister in law, Russ and Aimee and brother to our niece, Savannah.

IMG_6752

I am thrilled. Ryan is thrilled. My parents are thrilled. He is going to be a Henderson. He’s going to be loved my amazing parents. We will be a part of his family forever.

He left us today.  I really didn’t think it would hit me hard. It did. The waterworks show started and I couldn’t stop it. They were sad tears, I will miss him. Each time I started crying it immediately stopped bc I know his life will be 100% better. He is going to have an amazing life. Amazing parents and most of all, we’ll be there to see him grow into the amazing man we know he will be.

I’m overjoyed and overcome by such joy and my spirit is without words at the marvelous power our Heavenly Father plays in our lives. He has a plan. We need to follow his promptings and just go with it. Don’t question (which is hard for someone like me).

I am a very blessed person for being able to me a temporary mother to this marvelous son of God for 8 months. These 8 months brought me joy, tears, anger, frustration, but in the end it was worth it.

Congrats to the newest member of our family. Thanks for letting me be a part of this process.

Heavenly Father, thank you for letting me be an instrument in this amazing plan of yours. 

Now I know WHY.

8 comments:

  1. WOW Karla! That is so awesome, I am totally crying right now! The LORD works in mysterious ways! I am very happy for you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a miracle! So happy for the Henderson Family to have a new member...and what a special connection you'll have with your new Nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for loving our son! Our lives are better and blessed because of your love, service and obedience to the Lord's promptings! Zavy is doing great and is so loved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karla you guys are amazing and so inspiring. What amazing courage you had taking him in not knowing how long you would have him and just showed him so much love that he needed. That boy has the BIGGEST smile on his face more than any other kid I have seen. And that is because of you guys!!! So happy he will be in your family forever. That is such amazing news and the Lord is so proud of you guys and will bless you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! That's great!! Yall gave him a great start and welcome into the family! Your boys will love to watch him grow and stay a Henderson!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. soooo overjoyed for you. God is so aware of us on such an intimate level. tears, my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete