3 weeks ago our social worker came for a visit, regular, nothing odd.
The kids were down for their naps and we were able to talk quietly w/out any interruptions (that never happens).
We talked for a little bit and then she got down to the nitty gritty.
“We have a little boy, he’s 7 months old. He has galactosemia (that’s another post all together). He was with another foster family, but the husband had to go into the hospital. The other family that we would have put him with just got a baby about 2 weeks ago. His situation is the following (this is where the story is kept private due to confidentiality issues). So how would you guys feel about fostering him? He would only be foster.
At this moment I am filled with emotion. I’ve never been comfortable just fostering. But something just felt right. It felt that this little man needed our home for a period of time.
So without really thinking anymore about it, we both said yes.
This was a Thursday afternoon. By Thursday evening, our home went from a mother and a father and 2 boys to a mother, a father, 2 boys and 1 foster baby.
By Sunday night I was ready to give him back. It was rough okay more like excruciating. He was a miserable little man. He didn’t smile at all. Not even in the bath, while rocking him, while tickling him, NOTHING. He was in a new place and he had his guard up. It really is crazy how we protect ourselves, even at such a young age. He cried, the bloody murder kind , ALL the time.
3 weeks later
He’s a happy little man. He opened up. He still cries a horrible cry. He’s eating. The poor little guy had never had solids. He now knows how to eat. He actually loves to eat. He was being fed only bottles ( a massive amount of them). So now that he has tried the real stuff there is no stopping him. He loves bath time. He plays and crawls all over the place.
He loves the boys. Lukas loves him, Manny on the other hand, not so much. To Manny, X-man is like a Monet, from far away he’s okay, but up close, it’s a mess.
X-Man (Xavier) is 8 months old. He is biracial, so he has this amazing color. He will be living with us for about 5-6 months. Could be shorter, could be longer.
Fostering. I thought I’d have a really hard time at just the thought of having to give him up at some point. But it most definitely is something different, once you have your own kids and then know that you are pretty much his caretaker. A place where he can feel safe, loved and cared for, until, well until his family situation gets straightened out. Until then, we’ll be the ones enjoying him.
He's cute! I'm glad you posted some pics of him! I'm sure there's a reason he's with you...a blessing for both of you! Enjoy! =)
ReplyDeleteAmazing. You have a big heart. He is precious. He is one lucky little guy to be in your loving home:)
ReplyDeleteWow that is amazing and good job for giving that sweet cute little boy a home!! It is people like you guys that make this world GREAT:)
ReplyDeleteyou are such an inspiration!
ReplyDeleteYou guys are amazing! I think three kids is challenging and I had 9 months to try to prepare myself for it. I do know that God has a plan for each of us and you guys are meant to be a part of his plan no matter how long or short it maybe.
ReplyDeleteI do have to say that he is soooo adorable! I am sure you will grow to love him as your own in no time.
ooo my gosh goosebumps tears---- you guys really are doing so much good, how amazing!!! you are making such a difference in his little world, just look at him!!!! you guys are simply amazing.
ReplyDeleteKarla, I tell all my friends and family about you and how amazing you really are! The LORD has such an amazing plan for you and I truly believe you are fulfilling it! I admire you so much for the loving and kind person you are! Thanks for giving me something to aspire to :-)
ReplyDeletelove, Vanessa
Can't wait to meet X!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful experience. Thanks for sharing and inspiring me-- the hard parts and all.
ReplyDelete