6.10.2010

This year

 

was quite different. The group of students I had this year were very very special children. They each have individually overcome so many challenges. More than many of us would ever even dream of. My top reader this year was a little girl who hadn’t seen her mother since she was 4 months old and when she finally saw her again, she had a 2 new siblings and was in a country and a school where everything was different. From the language to the weather to the foods she ate. I had a little boy who in preschool was being tested for EC bc he wouldn’t speak. He is now an amazing reader and there was a court order to keep his father away from him. My kiddies tell me stories that completely shocked me. I’m so very proud of each of them and I’m looking forward to starting it all again in August.

Today I said goodbye to one of my 1st graders who is moving to Texas. This little girl moved me to tears today. She was supposed to be in 2nd grade but was put in 1st grade, but intellectually she is at about a preschool level. She can’t retain anything new. We spent weeks and weeks working on the alphabet and primary numbers up to 10. She left here still not knowing these with 100% accuracy. I wonder what will become of her as she gets older. I only wish her the best. I almost gave up on her at times, but today as she was leaving, she ran to me and said “Mrs. Karla", I made picture for you”. and gave me big hugs. She did draw a picture of her and myself working on letters and numbers in my room. I was seriously moved.

IMG_5458 IMG_5459 IMG_5483IMG_5465 IMG_5468 IMG_5472 IMG_5474 IMG_5475 IMG_5479 IMG_5482  IMG_5484 IMG_5488 IMG_5503

 IMG_5496 IMG_5494

IMG_5498 IMG_5500

3 comments:

  1. so sweet! This made me miss teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can comment now! I read your blog all the time but could never comment! wahooooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't the end of the year so bittersweet?!? Teaching is a WONDERFUL career! I would say it's the best, but I think I might have changed my mind during the last two months...=)

    ReplyDelete