12.20.2009

It's Tricky...Tricky Tricky.



My children have never seen me with a big belly. Okay, let's rephrase that. My children have never seen me with a Pregnant belly. It's something that my body refuses to do. So the fact that my cousin is pregnant (about 2 weeks until labor) fascinates Lukas. He now knows what it means to be "pregnant". He recognizes when other women have babies in their bellies. He immediately points and says " You have a baby in your tummy, like Marina (he assumes everyone knows he has an aunt named Marina, whose pregnant).

Well, we recently got together and Marina is looking very ready for Lauren to come out. The conversation with my 3 yr. old went as follows.

Lukas : "Mommy, how's the baby going to come out?"

Mommy: "Um, he just will" ((I know not the brightest answer, but there were about 10 people around and I didn't know what to say)
Lukas: "How"

Mommy: "Um, (at this point I'm really thinking I'm going to go ahead and tell him that girls are special and that babies come out of the pee-pee area. If you're cringing, don't worry I was too)

My aunt: "The baby comes out of the belly button" (thinking he'd say ok and move on)

Lukas: That's not possible. The baby is too big to come out of the belly button. That will hurt.

Then we were saved by the bell, someone walked in the door and he completely forgot about it.

Dodged one there.

This child.

So if any of you have ideas on how to go about this type of conversation when it presents itself again...please pass that kind of information along to me. Please.

4 comments:

  1. Haha. It makes me so glad that when Treyton asks me that, I can just tell him that they cut the baby out. Thank goodness for C-Sections! Good luck with that. I would have no idea what to say if he asked how it comes out of someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just please don't tell him they poop it out!! One of my first graders yelled out "that mom pooped out two babies" when we were reading a book and he saw a mom pushing twins in a stroller. I couldn't hold it in. I just put the book up over my face to laugh. How gross!! I asked the mom about it and this child is an only child and watched his birthing video. Eww. So, he thinks moms just poop them out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. - Okay, C-sections do make it nice to explain and you even have little scars to prove it.

    -Eww. I would have died laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've actually had this conversation with Josh - I know, ALREADY!!!! I was doing the same as you, but I was driving at the time, trying to simple it down, but NOT say "poop them out" (though it crossed my mind). He knows girls are special and can grow babies in their bellies, so I told him there is a special hole where they come out. He responded, "Where?" I was literally squirming in my seat and somehow managed to avoid that one...until next time. Lucky you for being saved by the bell!!! These kids are just too smart for their own good.

    ReplyDelete